Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Picture Says It All


Take a minute to really think about this picture. What if someone walked up to you on the street and yelled "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!" or "Starbucks Via is better than other instant coffee"? What would you say? It doesn't exactly invite a conversation, does it? 

The core concept behind advertising is the one-way interruption. It's exactly what it sounds like: you're watching your favorite TV show, or listening to the radio, or surfing the web. Suddenly, your entertainment is rudely interrupted by commercials or advertisements. These interruptions often don't address most consumers' concerns about the product, and they certainly don't invite customers to ask questions. Frustrating, isn't it?

What's even more frustrating is that advertising is finding new, more intrusive ways to interrupt us. How many people have gotten an event invitation or message on Facebook hocking the hottest party of the year or the newest singer-songwriter on the scene? An e-mail server glitch at my school this year allowed students to advertise whatever they wanted to the entire school with the click of a button. The situation very nearly almost came to blows, as students expressed their infuriation with the inundation of interruptions. 

Advertising doesn't work. 

It's time to find a new way to market ourselves and our products that invites conversation from our consumers. We must connect and convince, not command. Is it more work than simply advertising? Of course. But it's also more effective.

So here's what I'd like to ask of you: think about a time when you were truly moved or compelled to buy a product. What was the product? What was your motivation to buy the product? And most importantly, how was the product presented to you that made you want to buy it? The more you address and then demand exactly what you want from marketing, the more we as marketers can tailor campaigns to reflect the you as the consumers. So let me know your thoughts on the subject!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with your post, advertising is increasingly annoying and it’s not nearly as effective as person-to-person relationship building. I couldn't think of a product, (well a movie could be a product) But I remember when the movie "Paranormal Activity" was released to theaters. When I saw the trailer (Ad) I thought...this movie looks stupid. But after seeing literally hundreds for Tweets on Twitter about the movie, how scary it was, how many people was talking about, how many of my friends on twitter raved about how I needed to see this movie I went. Now I would NOT have gone to see the movie off of the AD alone...a prime example that Ads don't work.

    Ne-chi'rye

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I can think of is Bare Minerals (I'm lame). I didn't get it online or off of T.V. though. Lynn used it and loved it and let me try it and said that she knew I'd never want to use anything else. So...someone you trust who already uses the product letting you sample it to prove it to yourself that you will like it too seems to be the situation that sold me. (Nice sentence structure, huh?) A great product doesn't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a DVD series of music of the 70's. I was motivated to buy it after seeing the 1AM advertising on TV with clips from the DVD.
    What really moved me was my connection to my musical past, it reminded me of the music that I grew up with. Perhaps if marketing connected more to what "does" motivate the buyer instead of what they think "should" motivate them we won't be interrupted so often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monique: Great example. I never even heard about "Paranormal Activity" until I heard about how scary it was on social networks.

    Samantha: I was actually given a Bare Minerals kit long before it hit the mainstream. However, I didn't use it until people I trusted, such as yourself, telling me how much they liked it. It just shows how much of an influence a review from a trusted source can have.

    Kimo: Thank you for the distinction between actual motivation and perceived motivation. Discussions via blogs like this will hopefully influence marketers and advertisers in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite type of advertising is when you are watching TV and a little guy jumps up in the corner of the screen. (Sarcasm) That annoys me so much. It completely distracts you from the show.

    As for your questions...I'm really trying to think of a good example but I really can't. I don't buy a whole lot of stuff at all. The only time recently that I was really compelled to buy a product was when I was browsing at Reckless Records. I saw a live DVD of The Swell Season and instantly picked it up and bought it just because I love their music and the band and can relate to their passion. Even if I had seen that sitting on a shelf in Best Buy I would have bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This picture is absolutely amazing! I don't think I've ever heard it worded any better, to be honest. It's like when you see people on the streets, and want you to join Green Peace..or sign up for something else. What a horrible way to advertise and/or marketing a company/project. It becomes a game..like "How can I avoid talking to this person?".

    ReplyDelete